• HOME
  • Grievance Procedures

Grievance Policy & Procedures

It is the desire of Reformed University that complaints made by students be taken seriously and resolved in a timely and satisfactory manner. In order to resolve an issue raised by a student, the procedures described in the University Catalog and Student Handbook should be followed as a first step.

If desired student can file a grievance complaint with the following agencies.

Click here for: GA-SARA Online Student Complaint Form
Georgia Nonpublic Post-secondary Education Commission (G-NPEC)
Transnational Association of Colleges and Schools (TRACS)
  • 15935 Forest Road
  • Forest, Virginia 24551
  • Telephone: 434-525-9539
  • Website: